Whats the fuss about receiving the Liebster Award 2017? I have to thank Izabella Miklós of Be Free. Be Zen for the nomination which came as a total surprise. As bloggers, we create content and do what we love, but what always astounds me is the response.
What is the Liebster Award 2017?
The Liebster Award is an online award given by bloggers to bloggers and has been around since 2011. This is a recognition of their contribution to the blogging community, in this case, the travel community. It is simply passed on and helps promote and support fellow bloggers. This is not only a great way to recognise a blogger, but it is motivational as well.
Liebster in German means sweetest, kindest, nicest, dearest, beloved, lovely, kind, pleasant, valued, cute, endearing, and welcome. It is a great initiative for supporting and showcasing new blogs.
My answers to Izabella’s questions
1. Out of all the countries, you have visited, which one did you like most?
That’s a tough choice to make, but I think it is probably Thailand. I have been there a dozen times or more so I have been lucky enough to explore the country extensively. It is a country of contrasts. The people are really friendly and the food is amazing!
2. If you could live in one city, anywhere in the world, where would it be?
I didn’t have to think too hard about this one. It’s Paris. I like the city for so many reasons. The architecture is stunning, the food is divine and I love the cosmopolitan feel to the city.
3.How did travelling change your life
It has given me a desire to keep exploring and meet wonderful people of different cultures. Regardless of politics, the people you meet are generally lovely and are keen to share their culture with you. I have learnt to be more open-minded and tolerant.
4 What is the most extreme thing that you have done
It was undoubtedly my road trip, in a Mini Cooper S convertible. I wanted to do the entire journey with the top down. I covered 5 countries and about 5550 km (3448 miles). It took me about 3 weeks to complete. Some of the roads were great for a 4×4 but not a Mini so it was an interesting trip through Africa. The extreme part was coming around a corner, on a dusty road, in the middle of nowhere, with not another soul in sight, in Botswana to find a herd of elephants crossing in front of me. I naturally came to a stop quite smartly. Seconds later the rest of the herd, about another 30 elephants, crossed behind me. This normally is not a problem, but remember that I had the top down on the car! You suddenly realise just how small and vulnerable you really are compared to a full-grown bull elephant!
5. What is the best memory that you have while travelling
I first visited Halong Bay 9 years ago. It was not very touristy then. I was stunned by its beauty. As I watched the sunset out in the bay, with not another vessel in sight I knew that I wanted to keep on exploring as much of the world as possible. It was at that moment that the travel bug bit.
6. If you could give someone $1 000 000, who would you give it to?
Without a shadow of a doubt the World Wildlife Foundation.
7, Name the top 3 most beautiful beaches that you have visited
- Noordhoek, South Africa
- Railay beach, Krabi, Thailand
- Grand Baie, Mauritius
8. Have you met any bloggers in real life, who would you like to meet?
No, I haven’t, but I would like to meet Elizabeth Minchilli who is based in Rome. I have loved her blog and have used the information so much over the years.
9. What do you love most about blogging?
I love the creative process. I find that it begins when I see something that I take a shot of and my brain starts ticking as to what could go with it to make a good post.
10. What are you most grateful for this year?
I was lucky enough that my husband was happy for me to go travelling for 2 months, while he stayed home and held the fort. I had an amazing time. There were times when I felt a bit guilty, but I got through it pretty quickly 🙂
Girl with the Passport – One of my favourite blogs
I like everything about this blog. I always find that the topics are interesting and well researched. I seem to like similar things as well. Her Instagram feed is always colourful and sometimes just a bit wacky.
We all have defining moments in our life when we are able to see things with a clarity that was not there previously. Kelly Duhigg had that moment when her mother passed away. She is an inspiration and wants everyone to follow their dreams.
She says on her about page “Just know that this blog comes from a place of love, inspiration, support and hope because anything is possible“. I have a similar philosophy, which is why I suppose that I relate to her.
My questions for the nominees
1. What’s on your bucket list?
2. What country would you never go back to and why?
3. What is the funniest thing that happened to you on your travels?
4. What is the story behind the name of your blog?
5. What is the most memorable meal you have had on your travels?
6. Do you prefer cities or nature?
7. What book(s) have you read that has inspired you to go and visit the place written about?
8. What is the first thing you do, once you have settled in when you arrive at a new destination?
9. What is your favourite travel movie?
10. What famous person, living or dead, would you like to go on holiday with and why?
My nominees are…..
- Rice and Fries Adventures
- Passport Symphony
- Libra Travel Blog
- The Travel 2
- Prowling The Planet
- Artsy Style Traveler
- ARW Travels
Liebster Award Rules
The rules are simple:
1. Thank the person who nominated you and post a link to their blog on your blog.
2. Display the award on your blog — by including it in your post and/or displaying it.
3. Write a 150-300 word post about your favourite blog that is not your own. Explain why you like the blog and provide links.
4. Respond to the questions provided by the blogger who nominated you for the award
5. Nominate 5-11 blogs that you feel deserve the award
6. List these rules in your post
7. Inform the people/blogs that you nominated that they have been nominated for the Liebster award and provide a link for them to your post.
If you are interested in more details regarding the rules and the background to the award you can find it on this site.
I would like to say a big thank you to all of you who read my posts and offer feedback. Your support is greatly appreciated. I hope that I will be able to keep you entertained for many years to come.